Eye exams include:
- Educating patients about maintaining and promoting healthy vision.
- Performing a comprehensive examination of the visual system.
- Screening for eye diseases and conditions affecting vision that may be asymptomatic.
- Recognizing ocular manifestations of systemic diseases and systemic effects of ocular medications.
- Making a differential diagnosis and definitive diagnosis for any detected abnormalities.
- Performing refractions.
- Fitting and prescribing optical aids, such as glasses and contact lenses.
- Deciding on a treatment plan and treating patients’ eye care needs with appropriate therapies.
- Counseling and educating patients about their eye disease conditions.
- Recognizing and managing local and systemic effects of drug therapy.
- Determining when to triage patients for more specialized care and referring to